Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Isla Taboga

This past Saturday I joined three of my language school mates, Bess, Courtney and Laura on a trip to Isla Taboga which is a favorite getaway spot for people in Panama City. The island is a short 20k boat ride from the city, but feels a lot further away as the town itself is very quiet. The island has kind of a rough history as it's inhabitants have been massacred a handful of times, though in the last few hundred years I think it say more use as a place for the Spanish and US to set up big gun turrets. After a nice lunch we hung out on the beach for the afternoon, watching a boisterous fishing competition that was going on just off the beach. When I last asked, the winning fish was somewhere in the neighborhood of 78 pounds or so! After hanging out at the beach for a bit, I went for a run up a nearby hill where I was rewarded with some incredible views of the island and other islands nearby. I felt like Tom Hanks in Castaway, minus the volleyball and being stranded parts.


No comments: